Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am newly pregnant, and for about 10 days (between

I am newly pregnant, and for about 10 days (between

Patient: I am newly pregnant, and for about 10 days (between weeks 6-8) I was taking about 415IU of vitamin E daily before I found out it was likely too much. Should I give my body some time to rid itself of excess E before continuing with just a prenatal vitamin?

Doctor: Hi.Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.When used in the recommended daily amount, vitamin E is POSSIBLY SAFE f or pregnant women. However, in many countries such as the UK, vitamin E is not recommended for consumption by pregnant woman. This is because there has been some concern that taking vitamin E supplements might be harmful to the fetus when taken in early pregnancy.Until more is known, do not take vitamin E supplements during early pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider. The Vitamin E that you have already consumed should get washed off from your system soon. Taking other prenatal vitamins will not affect the clearance of Vitamin E.Hope this helps. All the best.