I am newly pregnant, and for about 10 days (between

Q: I am newly pregnant, and for about 10 days (between weeks 6-8) I was taking about 415IU of vitamin E daily before I found out it was likely too much. Should I give my body some time to rid itself of excess E before continuing with just a prenatal vitamin?

A:   Hi.
Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

When used in the recommended daily amount, vitamin E is POSSIBLY SAFE for pregnant women. However, in many countries such as the UK, vitamin E is not recommended for consumption by pregnant woman. This is because there has been some concern that taking vitamin E supplements might be harmful to the fetus when taken in early pregnancy.

Until more is known, do not take vitamin E supplements during early pregnancy without talking with your healthcare provider. The Vitamin E that you have already consumed should get washed off from your system soon. Taking other prenatal vitamins will not affect the clearance of Vitamin E.

Hope this helps. All the best.