I am no longer a virgin I had sex with

Patient

Q: I am no longer a virgin. I had sex with my boyfriend and it was completely safe. We used a condom from start to finish. He did not ejaculate and when we finished there were no holes in the condom. I have ocd and tend to obese and stress over everything. Is there a possibility that I could even be pregnant or is this possibly all in my mind?

Doctor

A:   Hello, Thank you for posting your query on ATD.
Pregnancy is caused as a result of an unprotected sexual intercourse only if it occurs within one's so called "fertile period". The fertile period of a woman is determined by analysing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28-day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization.

In your case, You did not have an unprotected intercourse. In fact, you were adequately protected by a condom that did not allow passage of spermatozoa, as it was tested by you as having no defects. Moreover, your partner did not ejaculate, making pregnancy even less likely. Although pre-ejaculate contains live spermatozoa, the condom must have prevented their passage, in all likelihood. However, since you are worried, please consult your doctor to discuss options to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. You may, however, get a home pregnancy test done, if you have missed a period already; do discuss the result at the doctor visit.