I am not doing well in school

Patient

Q: Im thinking i may have ADD,(I am in grade 10) School assignments and tasks arent being completed on time, but i get heavily frustrated in the process of writing essays or making speeches. i am smart enough to get a great mark yet the way i tend to not do things is jeopardizing my marks. id love to do the work and get a great mark, im just never into the work. EVER. im never engaged in the work or find the patience to sit myself down and do it. I want to know whether these signs show any relation to ADD.

Symptoms:  Hitting self in head. repeated destruction of worksheets,pencils,erasers, etc... anger, self loathing upon this issue.
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
ADD can present with reduced attention and increased distractability which generally starts in childhood and extends in adulthood as well. The symptoms you are stating suggests that it could be an ADD and this will require treatment with stimulants like methylphenidate or adderall. With the improvement of symptoms, the quality of life will improve a lot. The medicines are safe and they need to be used for a long period. Do meet your doctor and get the medicines prescribed.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!