Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am not pregnant but I have Pubic Symphysis Diastasis

I am not pregnant but I have Pubic Symphysis Diastasis

Patient: I am a 14 year old, female.  I’m not pregnant but have pubic symphysis diastasis. Everywhere I go on websites talk about pregnancy, but I’m NOT pregnant. Can you help me?

Doctor: Pubic Symphysis diastasis (PSD) is separation of the anterior portion of the pelvic bone. I am assuming that you have be en diagnosed with this condition by a doctor. The most common causes of this condition in women is pregnancy which explains the reason most of the information you find about the condition is related to pregnancy. Trauma, such as falling or a car accident, is the next most common cause of diastasis of the pubic symphysis. Since you have not mentioned any such incidents then I assume that that is not the cause in your case. A less likely possibility is connective tissue disorder. In these disorders there is a problem with a substance called collagen. Collagen is found in many tissues throughout the body including joints. In connective tissue disorders there can be problems with various joints which may lead to recurrent dislocations. However, it is rare for just one joint to be affected.The treatment for PSD is anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy. Very rarely is surgery required to fix this condition.