Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am on birth control pills and an antibiotic I

I am on birth control pills and an antibiotic I

Patient: I am on birth control pills and an antibiotic. I know that antibiotics can affect you while on birth control. Does the mean when I take the pills that give me my period, that I won’t get my period?

Symptoms: Birth control

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It is indeed true that the antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of the co ntraception. It is in the context that it will cause a failure of the contraception and can lead to a pregnancy. This can make you miss the periods. But it may not as such cause delayed cycles when used with the emergency pillsHope this was helpful.Regards