I am on Nortel birth control pills, Is there a possibility I could be pregnant?

Patient

Q: I started taking Nortel birth control pills two weeks after my period. I missed two pills on the last two days of the first week (Friday and Saturday) and late on taking a pill the first day of the second week (Sunday). I had unprotected sex Saturday and Sunday, but took my Sunday pill early that following Monday morning ( This morning). Is the a chance I could have gotten pregnant?

Doctor

A:   Birth control pills protect from unwanted pregnancy only when take in recommended cycles, regularly, and under expert medical supervision. Irregular use may predispose one to an unwanted pregnancy, if intercourse occurs in one's fertile period (time around ovulation).

The fertile period of a woman who is not on pills is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Pills prevent ovulation and thus averts pregnancy.

A home pregnancy test may be helpful to you. A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization.
Please get a test if you missed your periods already or still are concerned about a possible pregnancy and discuss the results with your doctor.