Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am on prescription pain medication for chronic back pain

I am on prescription pain medication for chronic back pain

Patient: I am on prescription pain medication for chronic back pain. I have also been dealing with issues of depression and anger since I was a teenager. Seeking help for these issues is long overdue. I have finally made an appointment with a psychiatrist to deal with these issues. I’m afraid that I will not be taken seriously because of my use of prescribed pain medication. Should I be concerned?

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The psychiatrist will corroborate your histo ry with the mental state examination findings that he is getting on examination. Mostly psychiatrists give benefit of doubt to the patient and at the max he will not prescribe you medicines that have abuse potential. But still your depression will be taken care of.Do go ahead and meet your doctor and discuss everything that you have in your mind in detail.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.