September 21, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am on the contraceptive patch

I am on the contraceptive patch

Patient: I am on the contraceptive patch but sometimes forget to put it back on for 2 days after I have taken it off. I forgot to put it back on just over 2 weeks ago and had a little bleed. I had sexual intercourse exactly 2 weeks ago an now I feel nauseous, have very sore breasts and they are leaking fluid. Is there a high chance I am pregnant?

Doctor: Hello.Thanks for the query.With irregular use of contraception and delay in re-insertion, always increases the fai lure rates and causes increased pregnancy chances. The symptoms you described are also in favor of an early pregnancy. Kindly rule out pregnancy by seeing a Gynecologist and getting a beta hCG blood test done.Hope this helped.Regards