I am on the sugar pill week of my first month of OCP

Patient

Q: I am on the sugar pill week of my first month of birth control and tomorrow I will finish the pack. However, during this week my boyfriend ejaculated in me either 2 or 3 times. I had breakthrough bleeding from March 7-12 but have yet to get my period during the placebo week. Honestly, I am just concerned that I might be pregnant and have been getting mixed information via internet. I just want to get a straightforward answer on what could possibly be the reason as to why I haven't had the period from the placebo week.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Usually, the periods will start within 2 days after the completion of the pills. If 2 days have been crossed then, you may have irregular periods. Irregular periods are common in the adolescent age group. This may be causing the problems you are having.

Another reason can be pregnancy which is usually the most common cause of a missed period. This is very rare in people who are regular with the Contraceptive pills. The chance of getting pregnant it less than 1%.

If you have 2 more irregular periods, please see a Doctor to get checked up. All the best.