I am pregnant and have chicken pox now

Patient

Q: I am 23 weeks pregnant and have chicken pox now? My eldest daughter had chicken pox. My doctor told me that I am not immune and will get it. Now I have them. I have also been running a fever. I am taking Tylenol 500mg for the fever. My main concern is for the baby. Some people say its not that dangerous after 20weeks and before the last 2 weeks. And there isnt much that can be done to treat chicken pox....just have to ride it out. main concern is my baby

Doctor

A:   The risk of fetal infection is greatest before 20 weeks and after 36 weeks of maternal infection, as such, your baby may be safe at this stage of growth and development. Also, if you have been vaccinated for chicken pox in childhood or had the infection at a young age, you are likely already immune to the infection and so would your baby, because protective antibodies are transmitted through your blood to the baby for protection. So in either case you need not worry.

The risk of fetal infection is greatest before 20 weeks and after 36 weeks of maternal infection, as such, your baby may be safe at this stage of growth and development. Also, if you have been vaccinated for chicken pox in childhood or had the infection at a young age, you are likely already immune to the infection and so would your baby, because protective antibodies are transmitted through your blood to the baby for protection. So in either case you need not worry.