Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am retaining fluid very badly I am prescribed

I am retaining fluid very badly I am prescribed

Patient: I am retaining fluid very badly. I am prescribed a diuretic but it was suggested that I only take it as needed. If I do not take it, I DO NOT make any visits to the restroom all, even though I drink water all day long. Help!



Symptoms: Swelling legs and fingers, significant weight gain,
I am conscious of my diet. I have been trying to lose some weight, but was trained as a child to only eat when hungry. I have no appetite most of the time. I eat because it is time.
I’ve been told that I “don’t eat enough”. I probably don’t eat 1300-1500 calories a day.
Because of the joint pain and swelling, I am unable to exercise like I know I should.



Doctor: Hi,Thanks for writing in.Water is an important component of our system and a daily requirement of 2.5 to 3.0 litre s of water is considered adequate.Water retention is usually a sign of disease involving kidneys or heart or liver or malnutrition.It is important to know of any condition which was diagnosed in you and whether you are on any medications.It is important to make a restroom visit every 3 to 4 hours so that the urinary system and kidneys are flushed regularly.I suggest that you discuss with your doctor regarding the cause for water retention and if it involves any organ systems which require treatment.You should drink 2.5 to 3.0 litres of water every day and this is important.Your diet should be 1500 kilo calories each day aith adequate proteins to avoid malnutrition.Taking diuretics will temporarily cobntrol water retention but the primary cause of water retention needs to be treated for better health.Hope your query is answered.Please do write back if you have any doubts.Regards,

Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: my family physician delivered me. I know, wow! Sometimes I think he doesn’t take everything as seriously as I wish he would. Can you recommend a type of doctor that I can see to get a full once over.

Doctor: Hi,
Thanks for writing back with an update.
It is recommended that you consult an internal medicine specialist doctor in your area and get clinically examined for the possible cause for water retention.


Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment