I am Scared to be diagnosed with diabetes

Patient

Q: I am working with my nurse here at work, I weigh about 125 pounds, i am a female. My fastening glucose is anywhere from 86-97. I have been eating a better diet, trying to cut out sugars and carbs as best as I can. My fear is becoming diabetic. About a month ago i started to exercise about everday. what else can I do so I do not get diabetes?

Symptoms:  None right now
Doctor

Thanks for posting at asktehdoctor.com for an opinion and advise,

As you are in your late thirties and weigh 126 pounds with an average height of 170-180cm approximately, i believe your BMI is well within range. Considering the fact that your fasting blood glucose has been ranging between 86-97mg/dl, it is again well within limits. A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. Diabetes mellitus are of two types namely type1 and type 2. Diabetes mellitus type 2 (formerly noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or adult-onset diabetes) is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) in the context of insulin resistance and relative lack of insulin. This is in contrast to diabetes mellitus type 1, in which there is an absolute lack of insulin due to breakdown of islet cells in the pancreas.

The development of type 2 diabetes is caused by a combination of lifestyle and genetic factors. While some of these factors are under personal control, such as diet and obesity, other factors are not, such as increasing age, female gender, and genetics. A lack of sleep has been linked to type 2 diabetes. This is believed to act through its effect on metabolism. The nutritional status of a mother during fetal development may also play a role, with one proposed mechanism being that of altered DNA methylation.

Onset of type 2 diabetes can be delayed or prevented through proper nutrition and regular exercise. Intensive lifestyle measures may reduce the risk by over half. The benefit of exercise occurs regardless of the person's initial weight or subsequent weight loss. Evidence for the benefit of dietary changes alone, however, is limited, with some evidence for a diet high in green leafy vegetables and some for limiting the intake of sugary drinks. In those with impaired glucose tolerance, diet and exercise either alone or in combination with metformin or acarbose (medicines) may decrease the risk of developing diabetes. Lifestyle interventions are more effective than metformin. While low vitamin D levels are also known to be associated with an increased risk of diabetes, correcting the levels by supplementing vitamin D3 does not improve that risk.

So, more or less I feel that you are already doing your bit and your diet , weight and sugar levels are presently under control proving that you are appropriately practicing preventive measures. Another thing you should keep in mind is that never over do any of the things like exercise or dieting for that matter as hypoglycaemia or decreased sugar levels in such cases is an unwelcome side effect and can be harmful to your body. So it is suggested that you maintain the sugar levels that you are maintaining already and am sure these shall be enough to prevent you from becoming a diabetic.

I hope i have been able to address your concerns in detail here,
wishing you good health,