Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am taking Sertraline at 1 pill for 2 weeks

I am taking Sertraline at 1 pill for 2 weeks

Patient: I am taking Sertraline at 1 pill for 2 weeks then 1 1/2 pills for 2 weeks can I stop taking it as it nulls out my sex drive and I want it back

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD,Yes, Sertraline use can cause sexual side effects in terms of decrease in libid o on long term usage. These are known side effects and your physician must have informed you off the same before prescription. However if you feel that the effects are severe and it completely nulls out your sex drive then you may discuss it with your physician for any replacement or substitute drug or lowering of dosage of Sertraline. There are adjunct supplements like gingko blob present which naturally increases libido and can be used along with Sertraline.Also, another method which has been used by the couple of physicians to overcome sexual side effects of such medications is to offer weekend off from the drug. This helps in reducing the concentration of the drug during weekends which we cherish the most for personal activities. This strategy has been successful and you may opt for it in consultation with your treating physician.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards