Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I am terrible at taking my oral birth control pill

I am terrible at taking my oral birth control pill

Patient: I am terrible at taking my oral birth control pill (mononessa) I am thinking about switching to implanton and have scheduled an appointment with a doctor for the week after my next period. I read that if you get the implant within 5 days of your period then it protects from pregnancy but if I start it after I would not be protected. If I got the implant and also took mononessa would tha be healthy? Would I be protected from pregnancy?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.The implant will protect from pregnancy after 7 days of insertion.Thus, you can use anot her method of contraception to prevent pregnancy for 7 days.You should not go for the pill and implant together because it may cause hormonal imbalance.You can use a condom for the same.Hope this was useful.Regards