I am twenty years old, why can't I urinate?

Q: I went into acute urinary retention on boxing day 2010 and have had to self catheterise since. i am a 20 year old female and other than a tremor of my hands and now this bladder problem, healthy. I have had MRI scans which came back clear and a urodynamic study which showed that there is no pressure or nerve stimulation. i saw the urologist on Wednesday and came home with no answers as to why this has happened but the knowledge that i will be doing this for life, no other tests have been done and i was hoping maybe you could give me some answers as to why this may happen in an otherwise healthy 20 year old girl. please help me!! Natalie Hughes

A:   Based on the description of you symptoms and the results of the tests that you have done, it seems there is a problem with the nerves which signal your bladder. I suggest seeing a neurologist to rule out neurological disorders which can account for your symptoms. One condition to rule out is Multiple Sclerosis. This condition can affect any number of nerves throughout the body and is often misdiagnosed because of the numerous ways in which it presents.