I am underweight.How do I gain weight?

Patient: Hello sir, I want to gain weight I m under weight 56 kg and 5’6 height and 22 years old. I eat a lot and do workout 3 days a week. But there is no result and m weight is not increasing. what should i do now?

Symptoms: Skiny

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.Most commonly, if one is unable to gain weight it is d ue to constitutional reasons.Following are the causes of weight loss or not able to gain weight at your age:1. Malabsorption syndrome.2. Inadequate diet3. Intestinal Tuberculosis.4. Hyperthyroidism.These issues should be evaluated to rule out any organic cause for not able to gain weight.I would advise following in such scenario:1. To get anti-TTG Antibody test done to rule out Malabsorption syndrome like Celiac disease.2. Upper GI endoscopy3. Ultrasound Abdomen.4. Chest Xray5. Thyroid profile6. Hemogram with ESR.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy