Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » I am very fit and love to cycling and mountain biking.

I am very fit and love to cycling and mountain biking.

Patient: I am very fit and love to cycling and mountain biking. I lost my good job 2 years ago and have not been able to find insurance that I can afford. Going to a doctor is out of the question for this. Something in my knee isn’t functioning correctly, It feels like something is moving around in there or is really tight. I do not swell, and it only hurts if I am pushing really hard on the bike, or sometimes it feels really funny. I have been going to the gym and working my legs out for the past 3 months and it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I thought it was a muscle imbalance. When I isolate the quads at the gym it is worse. Any ideas?

Symptoms: I can feel something weird in my knee, doesn’t happen as much when I wear a brace or tape it up, but it still happens. It pops and makes noises but doesn’t hurt and it doesn’t swell up. I don’t swell or bruise much at all, never have.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Although it is difficult to exactly p redict what’s causing the problem, it sounds like a ligament sprain that has not been able to heal adequately since you’re constantly working out or cycling..A few days of rest will let us understand whether it is because of a ligament or if it still doesn’t get better, you will need to get x ray of the affected knee. Unfortunately, without a x Ray it’s very difficult to predict what’s the issue. Even a physical examination of the knee will help in understanding the diagnosis.You can try a combination to Diclofenac- Paracetamol to be taken twice daily after food for a week. This will help.Feel free to discuss further,Regards.

Patient: Thanks for your help I knew the answer would be see a dr. I took a couple months off and that did nothing to help. I will try the medication if possible. Thanks and have a great night

Doctor: Yes I understand.
You can try the medicines and see if it responds. Let me know in a weeks time.
Will look forward to hearing from you.