Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I ama 68 year old female who has been very

I ama 68 year old female who has been very

Patient: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surgery and then strep. I do have osteoporosis. Last Thursday I was standing in front of the copier at work when something happened to my knee. I was instantly aware that there was a problem. It is the left knew and there was immediate pain. I had to hobble back to my desk. There has been no swelling and no bruising. Leg looks just like the other leg. I can straighten it and bend it but it does hurt. Hurts when I stand up from a sitting position. It hurts just at the bottom of the knee on the outside of the leg. Going to dr. as soon as I can get it. Knee sometimes feels a little out of place but I can stand on that leg completely and it does not give out. Just wanted to know what could have happened when I was not moving.

Doctor: There are 2 types of knee injuries: Traumatic and atraumatic.It appears you have has an atraumatic knee injury … o ne not associated with an identifiable acute trauma.the most common atraumatic knee injury associated with a painful range of motion would be a meniscal injury.The mensicus is a piece of soft tissue that acts as a shock absorber of the knee joint. It can where out with time. If the injury is mild, it can often be managed with phsyiotherapy when flare ups do occur. Persistent cases may require a surgical repair.An MRI is the best test to investigate meniscal knee injuries. An x-ray should also be done to look at the health of the bony structures of your knee as you indicated a history of osteoporosis.