I ate a water bead. Am I going to die?

Patient : I am 17 and I ate a water bead (you know those beads that expand in water) for a dare. Now I am probably going to die. Hey, at least I'll make it into the papers.
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. We are not certain what type of 'water bead' you ingested. If this substance was a desiccan t made of silica gel, then this may cause gastrointestinal irritation. If you ingested a very small quantity, then it is likely you will not experience any severe reaction, however, because we are unsure of what you ingested, we recommend that you go to your nearest emergency department or family doctor and to be examined and tested for any life threatening poisoning. Please seek medical attention immediately. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: I have a tailors bunion on my right pinky toe. It is extremely painful wearing certain types of shoes. If I choose to...

Q: Children high cholesterol, high lipo A. What type of doctor we should visit and what thype of treatment?

Q: I had my implant removed a week ago i have been very ill when i had it taken out i am still a bit poorly how long unt...

Q: I have peyronies I can stil have erection there is No pain and just the erection is les strong and is swiftly to the ...

Q: Hi I have been suffering from ache and tingling in my left arm. I get weakness and pain in my forearm when trying t...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon

IMAGES ON ASK THE DOCTOR


CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews