Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I ate very hot food now my throat feels weird

I ate very hot food now my throat feels weird

Patient: I ate very hot food now my throat feels weird. Due to microwaved food. Its not the food. The steam burned my throat. It feels that something weird is there. No pain just when I first ate. Is it due to my throat being dry? Is this no big deal?

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.I understand your concern.There are two possibilities:1) Acid reflux2) Sligh t burning due to hot steamSo if you have difficulty in swallowing, I will advise you to take syrup Mucaine gel which will create the anaesthetic effect on the lining of esophagus and stomach and will reduce the burning. Also, you should take a combination of pantoprazole and domperidone which will help apparently in acid reflux.Avoid hot drinks and spicy food.Take soft and bland diet for few days.Avoid smoking and alcohol in case you do.You can also take ice creams and soothing agents like throat lozenges for symptomatic relief.In case the problem persists after 3-5 days of therapy, you would require upper GI Endoscopy.However, it seems it is mild and will settle with these measures only.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay healthy.