I been having constant neck and head pain for almost

Patient

Q: I been having constant neck and head pain for almost 7 months now. Woke up one day with terrible headache and stiffed neck. Started at the back of my head (suboccipital/occipital area) and base of the skull radiates to the left side of my head. Had neck X Ray and MRI, head ct scan. All normal. Given ibuprofen . Muscle relaxant, anti depressant medication (lyrica and cymbalta) pain didn't go away. Medications gave me bad side effects especially cymbalta. Now I still have squeezing pain in my head, tight neck /throat, head pressure/heavy feeling. I feel pain everytime I move my head up and down . I can hear clicking sound inside my head (back side) when I move my head. Its painful. I also hear chirping/buzzing sound in my ears. It's so loud in the morning and nighttime . My arms feel weak and my two hands are stiff everytime I wake up in the morning. My body feels so stiff sometimes that it's hard to move . I also feel tightness/stiffness in my abdomen. I feel burning sensation in my body . I was told that I have fibromyalgia , cervicogenic headache, myofascial syndrome by different doctors. Others say it's only muscle or nerve. I need to know really what's going on because I'm beginning to get scared why this pain won't go away. Is the nerve trapped by swollen muscle or blood vessels? Did the cartilage shift in the back of the neck which put pressure on the nerve? I quit my job already because I can't work like this. Could this be caused by prolonged use of a computer? Head forward position? Please advise.

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Your headache seems to be a type of tension headache. Yes, it is commonly seen in people who sit I front of the computer for prolonged periods.

I suggest the following course of action

1. If you sit I front of computer for a long time everyday, take frequent breaks where you get up from your seat and move around.
2. Make sure that the height of the chair and that of the computer table suits your posture.
3. Use a hard or semi soft mattress while sleeping in the night.

4. Avoid thick pillows while sleeping.

Most patients will experience relief of pain with these measures.

Hope this helps