Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I been having protected sex for these past few months

I been having protected sex for these past few months

Patient: I been having protected sex for these past few months my last period was February 1 I missed my next and then I missed my next period today it’s April 1 still no period . The only signs I had were light cramping and sore Brest for like a week . Can sex cause irregular period or possible pregnancy ?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.You didn’t mention which type of contraception you are usin g.If you are using hormonal contraceptive methods, there is a possibility of menstrual irregularities and amenorrhea for few months.Intercourse itself may not lead to menstrual irregularity usually, but lifestyle modifications, weight changes, stress and strain, polycystic ovary disease etc can cause menstrual irregularities by leading to gonadal hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes etc. Thyroid hormonal imbalance, general conditions like anemia etc can also affect the menstrual cycles.Abdominal cramps, breast tenderness etc may be indicating premenstrual phase.Better to go for urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.If the test gives negative result, you can wait for one more week, possibly you may get periods by that time.If you do not get periods even after one week to consult your doctor once and take tablets to induce withdrawal bleeding.Take care.