Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I began a medical abortion on Friday that just past

I began a medical abortion on Friday that just past

Patient: I began a medical abortion on Friday that just past. I have had bleeding more then my normal period but just today after my follow up I was at home and passed a very large clot and I’m not sure if a clot that large is normal? What is the largest clot I should be passing at this time ? The doctor said it was successful but I passed this after that was determined.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There is nothing like determining the largest sized clot in a medical abortion. There c an be heavy bleeding associated with clots soon after the pill consumption. Also, even after the abortion, it can cause prolonged bleeding for few days. The best method is to get an ultrasound scan done and finding out if there are any retained products of conception. Also, if there are no products and cavity is empty, you can be sure that the abortion is complete and there is nothing more to worry.Hope this helped.Regards