I began having facial numbness/burning about a month ago and

Q: I began having facial numbness/burning about a month ago and began carbamazepine two weeks ago. I now have a rash on the back of my neck that appeared two days ago (see pic). Could this be shingles? Or a reaction to the med?

I began having facial numbn...-1

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

This does not look like shingles. We need to wait and observe if it spreads elsewhere. It looks like urticaria, mostly a drug reaction.

I will advise you to take Tab. Claritin ( Loratadine ) 10 mg once at bed time after consulting your local physician and also apply Calamine lotion locally on the rash. This should be able to resolve the rash. If it spreads elsewhere downwards, you can send a picture and further management can be based on that. Also kindly mention in the follow-up if you have any previous history of allergies, from food or other known triggers such as dust or pollen grains.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,