Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I believe I am pregnant it is still too early for a pregnancy test.

I believe I am pregnant it is still too early for a pregnancy test.

Patient: I believe I am pregnant it is still too early for a pregnancy test, however I take alprazolam for my anxiety is this still safe or is their an alternative medication? I have an appointment next Thursday with my OB. Thank you

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,If you believe that you are pregnant, then rather than taking a u rine pregnancy test which is valid only after 8 days post missed menses, you may undertake a serum beta hcg test now. If teh hcg lvels are more than 3mIU then you are surely pregnant. If so, then you should stop alprazolam as it is a category c drug and not safe in pregnancy.I hope i have answered your query,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: Is their a safe medication for anxiety while pregnant?

Doctor: Hello,
During pregnancy you may face certain symptoms of nausea and vomiting, with distaste , off smell which may cause some amount of apprehension in you nut they can be controlled with antiemetics. If your alprazolam usage is not frequent or regular and your requirement is SOS then i would suggest you should avoid it completely till 14 weeks of gestation and opt for yogic breathing exercises which help relieve anxiety naturally.