I broke my collarbone 2 years ago

Patient

Q: I broke my collarbone 2 years ago at that time I was told I need part of it removed. I still have not been able to have the surgery. Recently I am experiencing severe pain,some swelling and pain in my neck. What do you recommend?

Doctor

A:   Hi welcome to Ask The Doctor,

Restricting the movement of any broken bone is critical to healing. To immobilize a broken collarbone, you'll likely need to wear an arm sling. To reduce pain and inflammation, your doctor may recommend an over-the-counter pain reliever. If you have severe pain, you may need a prescription medication that contains a narcotic for a few days.

Surgery may be required for a fractured collarbone if the bone has broken through your skin if it is severely out of place or if the bone has broken into several pieces. Broken collarbone surgery usually includes placing fixation devices plates, screws or rods to maintain proper position of your bone during healing. It is must for you to visit your doctor, after examination he would suggest you things which have to be done. But for now, you need rest, lessen your physical activity.

Take care of yourself.