I burned my facial skin using tea tree oil for

Patient

Q: I burned my facial skin using tea tree oil for acne. I do not know if this will heal I tried to cover it with make up but it looks funny so what should I do? It has gone from red to a brown black colour

I burned my facial skin usi...-1
Doctor

Thanks for the query to askthedoctor.com for an opinion,

As i can see that you have developed dark brown facial burns following tea tree oil over acne, which is actually not what is to be done over infected follicles( acne). The oil seemed to have caused not just the burns over the acne but also in the surrounding area. These would generally take around 7 days to heal up naturally. You need to take special care not to scratch it or even try to rub it as friction shall worsen it further.

You can use cold compresses over face twice a day and if possible can get a ointment silver sulphadiazine, usually available on prescription for local application thrice a day for at least 5 days. This shall prevent re-infection and also early healing.

Constant picking and rubbing can lead to scar formation and permanent mark on the face, so better avoid. Also if possible avoid makeup till it heals as makeup can further cause decreased healing. They don't seem to be infected at present and hence natural healing should be promoted.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,