I cannot fall back asleep

Q: Hello i am a teenager 13 years old i have adhd asthma i just got new pills to help me fall asleep and focus throughout the day i was doing well i guess i slept great but now suddenly i will be awake at 2 or 3 in the morning and im not quite sure weather i fall asleep before 2 3 am probably do but i don't remember waking up how do i fall asleep and stay asleep or be able to fall asleep faster if i wake up in the middle of the night

Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
You seem to be having a sleep initiation and sleep maintenance problem. You need to follow some steps for a good nights sleep:
1) A warm water bath before going to sleep is recommended.
2) Avoid heavy dinners.
3) Use your bedroom only for sleeping and resting and do not do any other work there.
4) Have some aerobic workouts during day preferably in the morning like walking or jogging.
5) Don’t try very hard to go to sleep. If you are not sleepy then sit on a couch or sofa and do some reading and go to the bed only when you are sleepy.
6) Avoid afternoon nap for any reason.
7) Keep the lighting of your bedroom dim and make your bed every morning after you wake up so that you get a cozy bed to sleep at night.
8) Completely avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/energy drinks/coke/smoking.
9) Avoid watching tv or working on laptop/computer or bright screens at night.
Further if the sleep still troubles you then you can take some medicines for a brief period so that your sleep cycle gets regularized. Among the available option an extended release zolpidem should be a good option to keep you well slept.
Do meet your doctor and get these new medicines prescribed.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.