Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I developed a hydrocele shortly after hernia surgery

I developed a hydrocele shortly after hernia surgery

Patient: I developed a hydrocele shortly after hernia surgery. Over time it got pretty big. Went to a urologist, had and ultrasound, all is normal just fluid. it seems to have ruptured. Very small and not much fluid left Just real sore around where my hernia surgery was. Is this bad?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.NO.This is not bad.My thoughts: It looks that the hernia was of the complete variety, meaning the sac must have been reaching the scrotum. Usually, the sac is cut in between and the scrotal part is not disturbed. Only the abdominal part is ligated, cut and repaired.This remaining sac may appear as a hydrocele. Now it looks again that the opening got opened up and the body absorbed the fluid thereby reducing the size.I would advise you the wait and watch policy. If there is reappearance, insist for formal surgery and your problems will be over forever.I hope this answer helps you.