Ask The Doctor > Pending > I eat my skin, blackheads, and pimples all over my body. What’s wrong with me?

I eat my skin, blackheads, and pimples all over my body. What’s wrong with me?

Patient: Ive been eating my skin since i was about 4, and now I’m 18 and still continue to eat it. I eat a lll the skin around my fingernails, knuckles, joints, palms, toenails, the underneath of my foot, my mouth, my lips, and ANY other place I can access until they literally start bleeding. On top of that, i pop my blackheads and whiteheads on my face allll the time and eat them too.. I know disgusting. Whats wrong with me? Why can’t I stop even when i try so hard too? I tried putting gum in mouth, putting nail polish on my hands, and even started smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to keep my mouth occupied but it never works. I’ll even eat my skin while eating dinner and I’m not exaggerating at ALL. I tried going to 2 different top dermatologists in New Jersey to tell them about my problem but they just tell me its a nervous habit. My doctor even told me its in my head, and that i should chew more gum.. I told them I have dermaphagia(An OCD for skin biting) but they tell me I’m wrong and that I shouldn’t self diagnose myself. Idk where to turn anymore i need help but even medical professionals can’t help me. Does anyone have a solid solution to stop?

Doctor: