Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I experience prickly needle feeling in chest

I experience prickly needle feeling in chest

Patient: I experience prickly needle feeling when i go into a deep coughing that i have in my chest and back and arms. . i had sinus infection few months ago. three years ago i was on an antidepressent which i no longer take. this was first time i felt these symptoms.

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.You seem to be suffering from Muscular pain as a resul t of coughing.However, it is also important to rule out Pleural effusion in such case.It is important to differentiate between the two as the treatment course is entirely different.The Muscular chest pain aggravates with movement. It is dull, diffuse and continuous in nature.In such scenario, I would advise you to get a Chest Xray done. This will give an idea if there is any pleural effusion or not.If the Chest Xray are normal, the pain is probably Muscular.I advise following to my patients in case of Muscular pain:1. To do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day.2. To apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area.3. To take anti-inflammatory and analgesic pain killer like Ibuprofen, Etoricoxib.On taking this treatment, this usually resolves in 5-7 days.I advise following treatment in chronic sinusitis:1. To do steam inhalation 4-6 times a day.2. To take anti-allergic like Levocetirizine3. In cases, who don’t respond to anti-allergic drugs, Fluticasone Nasal spray helps greatly.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy