I experiene heavy rectal bleeding during my period

Patient: Hi, I am a 20 year old female, every month for about 3 years now, during my period I experience heavy rectal bleeding, it is bright red blood that is present for about 2-3 days(that’s how long my period lasts). Is this normal ? I’ve read up online about recto-vaginal endometriosis but there aren’t too many useful information..should I have this checked out?Thanks

Symptoms: Rectal bleeding during period

Doctor: Hello,This is an unusual presentation though to have rectal bleed with menses but if you are experiencing it since la st 3 years and sur that it’s a rectal bleed then yes, endometriosis could be one of the differential diagnoses as a probable rectovaginal fistula. But a rectovaginal fistula should manifest with passage of either discharge of fecal material through vagina or excessive vaginal discharge or mucous through rectum. Hence, unlikely, It is hence advised that you may get a proctoscopic examination done by a physician to rule out any evidence of endometriosis or a fistula and accordingly surgical intervention will be planned.I hope I have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards