I fell directly on my knee two days ago

Patient : I fell directly on my knee two days ago. There was immediate swelling, pain and diminished range of motion. The pain has lessened, I have regained some movement, but still have significant swelling. The swelling will go down while I sleep with my leg elevated, but returns after any movement. The swelling is behind my knee and above the exterior of the knee and will swell to 3-4 times its usual size.
Doctor :   Hello Thanks for posting your query at ATD From the history of knee injury(considering it to be severe) following pr ovisional diagnosis are to be considered Fracture patella Traumatic synovitis (no bony injury) Knee effusion ACL injury There is collection of fluid, leading to swelling on the back of knee and superior to patella (supra patelar pouch). First thing is to get an clincal examination to rule out ligamentous injury and get a xray done to rule out bony injury. If both are ruled out then splintage in form of long knee brace to be applied for 2-3 weeks. Clinical reassessment after this period and further depending upon the findings whether to continue with brace or start with physiotherapy. My recommendation for you is to get a xray done and get examined by your local GP. Feel free to discuss any doubts, I'll be happy to discuss them with you. Regards