Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I fell down a flight of stairs the other day

I fell down a flight of stairs the other day

Patient: I fell down a flight of stairs the other day and now have a reddish brown bruise on my forearm that is larger than my hand and almost wraps around my arm, it is painful to rotate my arm and wrist, should I be concerned?

Symptoms: Bruising, swelling, tenderness to touch, pain, lump or buldge,

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.You have a soft tissue injury. Do the following to help you. Use RICE therapy to help yo u with recovery.Rest the joint and do not move it oftenIce the joint for 15 mins every hourCompress the area by using a crepe bandageElevate the hand on top of 2 pillows to reduce the swelling.See a Doctor if the pain is not gone after 5 days. All the best.Hope this helps you.