Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I fell on my chin a year ago Stitches, healed,

I fell on my chin a year ago Stitches, healed,

Patient: I fell on my chin a year ago. Stitches, healed, scar. This weekend, a year later, my chin scar suddenly started draining clear/yellowish sticky fluid. Now a few days later, it’s hard and scabbed. I did some research: Stitch related abscess? I usually have facial hair so maybe I didn’t notice it.My question: Will this heal on its own, or do I need professional medical attention? Thanks a bunch 🙂

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.As per details, it seems that you have got infection of the corresponding area.Now there are two possibilities:1) This is infection of scar itself leading to discharge of yellow sticky material , or2) Infection of hair follicle present in the beard area leading to discharge which appears to be coming from scar.If stitches were put a year ago then they must have been healed already so no possibility of stitch related abscess.In such cases, after pus culture and sensitivity, appropriate antibiotics are started.I will advise you to get your blood sugar levels done.Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription accordingly.You can share my opinion with him.I hope it helps.Take care.