I felt a lump below my ribs on the right

Q: I felt a lump below my ribs on the right side. Had an ultrasound at the ER. It said "a well I-circumscribed hypoechoic mass, measuring 3.6cm by 1.9cm. It could be a lipoma." It says "could be" should I follow up with a Doctor to verify the result?

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your short and specific question.

If the ultrasonography is showing ''could be'' lipoma of the size of 3.6 by 1.9 cm, I would advise you to consult your Surgeon get examined and get this excised for 2 reasons.
1. You get rid of the diseased part as it is not normal and is big enough.
2. You get a confirmed diagnosis.

Hope this helps you.

Patient: Thank you very much for your quick reply. I appreciate it. I made an appointment with a surgeon for this week.