Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I find it difficult to meet people and talk

I find it difficult to meet people and talk

Patient: I find it defecult to meet people and talk with them I feel shy to talk in public .I can’t say my opinion or what I really want to say.I don’t have confidence in my self , I don’t believe in my self .I have this fears that people may know what I am thinking of or know things about me.I used to think that people are looking to me and concentrating on me.I feel very shy to express my self to a friend. Know I fiend it defecult to meet new friends or even keep them.Now I have fears for example; if I do anythingI say to my self I didn’t do it right I should do it this way or that way,If I talk to someone I say to my self I should not say this word or that word now This person is sad.If I talk with my mother or father I am afraid that last make them unhappy.I hesitate a lot.I blame my self a lot.I am always in stress.I am 35.This have been for along time.from childhood.Thank you very much.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.You need to see a Doctor or a counsellor to reach a diagnosis. Based on the description you have given, it seems that you have social phobia and some elements of depression. But you should see a Doctor to confirm this diagnosis.See a Doctor for either counselling, behavior therapy or for medication to help you. All the best.