I get really big painful boils

Q: I get boils sometimes big enough for me to hold in my hand. They are painful to the point where I can't walk. These boils happen every day except for maybe 5 or 6 days a month. They have been happening for 6 years. When they pop the puss is green not white and it smells really bad. The scars aren't scars they are craters in my skin. My family doctor said not to worry about it and that it's nothing. Well she's been saying this for the past 6 years. Should I go to the hospital when boils like this happen? I sometimes have a fever along with it.

Symptoms:  Pain, swelling

A:   Hello.
Thanks for your health query on ATD.

It seems that you are having recurrent furunculosis. Furunculosis is an infection of roots of hair. Initially, they are hard to touch. Later they may be one painful followed by pus & blood discharge. They change places.My advice please consult a surgeon or dermatologist. You may need pus culture followed by a full course of antibiotics. He will also tell you how to avoid recurrence.

Hope it helped you