Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I get scared of birds when they are near me.

I get scared of birds when they are near me.

Patient: I get scared of birds when they are near me. I would like to know if there is a way to overcome this fear.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The symptoms that you are describing are probably a p art of the syndrome called Ornithophobia. Its a type of anxiety disorder and its very common. It occurs due to the imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain like serotonine, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as paroxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of this anxiety disorder. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.