I got a cold last Friday night (sneezing, blowing my

Patient

Q: I got a cold last Friday night (sneezing, blowing my nose a lot, very congested). The cold is still there, but not as bad. Yesterday I got a small headache and threw up once a little bit (just food - i recently had a banana, so just that). Any suggestions? Is this normal?

Symptoms:  My stomach was rumbling yesterday after I threw up (I threw up yesterday afternoon). This morning it hasn't but it just doesn't feel 100% yet.
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history > got a cold last Friday night (sneezing, blowing nose a lot, very congested). The cold is still there, but not as bad. Yesterday got a small headache and threw up once a little bit (just food - i recently had a banana, so just that). No vomiting today but does not feel 100% yet.
To answer your queries:
Any suggestions?
> The problem might have started as flu or a bacterial infection and thence continued as it is. The nasal congestion and many be associated sinusitis can be responsible for headache, which in turn can cause reflex vomiting. The infection swallowed also causes gastritis and vomiting.
I would advise you the following:
Take Nasal as well as oral decongestant, steam inhalation, opened up sinuses can stop the headache.
Take an anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or whichever suits you round the clock.
Take a PPI like Omeprazole to counter the gastritis.
Domperidone if nausea and vomiting continue.
Antibiotic if there is an evidence of infection on ENT and general Examination, blood reports.
Get a valid prescription from your Doctor to get the medicines from Pharmacy.
Take bed rest
Avoid sudden temperature zone changes.

Is this normal?
> This is certainly not normal. This is indicating that you have more than flu and better to take extra care, proper medication till you are cured, do not stop the medication the moment you feel better.

I hope this answers your queries, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Patient: Headache I thought might also be due to the fact that I haven't had coffee in a few days. Any foods that are okay for an upset stomach that you would suggest?
Doctor: Well, you may please take coffee and see if the headache passes off.
You can have soft and bland diet, which you know suit your stomach the best. This is always a subjective thing in a sense that one thing that suits someone may not suit the other, please choose your food as per your past experience.