I got a very Large injection for Gonorrhoea yesterday

Patient

Q: I got a very Large injection for Gonorrhoea yesterday tuesday 11/10/16. Me and my doctor was not sure if I had or not due to it being an emergency. I am not completely sure what the drug he injected me with was.

The same day I was told to take 4x250mg Azithromycin at once to rule out chlamydia. Which we also are not sure if I have or not. But I mixed up the dosage and didn't take correctly so I will take the correct dose tomorrow Thursday 13/10/16. Which again will be 4x 4x250mg Azithromycin.

I will be flying away this Friday for a party on Friday 14/10/16 and Saturday 15/10/16. Which will require me to drink alcohol. Can I drink alcohol 3 days after my injection and 24hours after taking the 4x250mg Azithromycin? I will only drink within proportion.

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

In general, drinking moderate amounts of alcohol when you're taking antibiotics doesn't lessen their effectiveness. But since both alcohol and antibiotics can lead to upset stomach, dizziness and drowsiness, the combination can amplify these side effects.

However if we have to be specific then alcohol will not affect azithromycin 1gram dosage and will not prevent it from acting on chlamydia infection, if present. So it is still safe but a moderation is advised.

With regards to the injection given , it is probably CEFTRIAXONE injection 1gm. Ceftriaxone injection is used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease). Again alcohol can decrease the efficacy of ceftriaxone if taken in excess or more than 120 ml, however side effects like diarrhoea have been documented as with other antibiotics. Hence moderation is advised.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,

Patient: But Will the alcohol effect the efficacy of the CEFTRIAXONE injection if I was to drink alcohol 3/4 days after being injected?
I currently am suffering from diarrhoea will this lesson the efficiency of the treatment?
Doctor: Continuous drinking shall still not affect ceftriaxone as such because it would be more than 48 hrs from administration and also ceftriaxone would not be affected because of diarrhoea as it was given as an injection and not orally. This might affect GI TRANSIT TIME of azithrhromycin and can decrease its absorption. But still azithromycin shall be effective enough to take care of chlamydia in next 24 hrs, before you make th etrip.
Patient: Ok so when I take my dose of 4x 250mg Azithrhrhromycin, can I also take something to help reduce the diarrhoea to help with the GI transit time for better absorbtion? Is Imodium safe to take on this medication or is there something els that I can take that is safe with the current medication?

Thank you for your help
Doctor: No imodium is not recommended with azithromycin at all. If the loose motions is just 1-2 times a day then there is no need for medication , just take adequate ORS fluids or simple lemon water with some salt and sugar.
Patient: Ok so I have taken the second dose of 4x250mg azithromycin this morning. My diarrhoea has com back again. I have had 3 loose stool movements so far today. Is this still ok? I think I will have several more tonight. Should I take anything to help reduce the diarrhoea that is safe with azithromycin?
Doctor: This could be a side effect of azithromycin itself. You need to just manage it conservatively with increasing your water intake preferably use WHO ORS SATCHETS to cover up for electrolyte losses and it can be managed.