I got my nose pierced about a three weeks ago

Q: I got my nose pierced about a three weeks ago and now it's infected. There is a small lump and pus and blood coming out.

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
You got your nose pierced and now 3 weeks later, there is an infection with a small swelling and pus.

Since there is a swelling, this has to be managed with oral antibiotics. Local antibiotics won't be that helpful. I will advise you to contact your local physician who can prescribe you am antibiotic course. A good choice antibiotic would be Tab. Cefotaxime 200 mg twice daily for 7 days-10 days. Locally, Mupirocin ointment has to be applied 2-3 times daily. The area can be regularly cleaned with betadine or povidone-iodine solution to keep it clean and dry.

I will also advise an analgesic like Diclofenac twice daily after food. This will reduce the inflammation and bring the pain and swelling down. Please continue this treatment for 7 days, and update me on whether the swelling has come down.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,