Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I got my nose pierced about a three weeks ago

I got my nose pierced about a three weeks ago

Patient: I got my nose pierced about a three weeks ago and now it’s infected. There is a small lump and pus and blood coming out.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You got your nose pierced an d now 3 weeks later, there is an infection with a small swelling and pus.Since there is a swelling, this has to be managed with oral antibiotics. Local antibiotics won’t be that helpful. I will advise you to contact your local physician who can prescribe you am antibiotic course. A good choice antibiotic would be Tab. Cefotaxime 200 mg twice daily for 7 days-10 days. Locally, Mupirocin ointment has to be applied 2-3 times daily. The area can be regularly cleaned with betadine or povidone-iodine solution to keep it clean and dry.I will also advise an analgesic like Diclofenac twice daily after food. This will reduce the inflammation and bring the pain and swelling down. Please continue this treatment for 7 days, and update me on whether the swelling has come down.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.