I got off the mini pill on 4-13-15 I'm still

Patient

Q: I got off the mini pill on 4-13-15. I'm still breastfeeding my 17 month old about 4-5x in a 24 hour period. I night weaned her almost a month ago. I haven't had my period since before I got pregnant with her (3-2-15). I've also been taking ovulation prediction kit sticks from Clear Blue every day for a month and have not ovulated. I'm 29. It took me 3 months to get pregnant with my daughter. Why am I not ovulating or having my period?

Symptoms:  No period
Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.

The fact that you are still breast feeding your child 5 times a day is causing the prolactin levels to stay raised in your body preventing menstruation and hence ovulation as well. As you have been off minipill since a month only and have not got your withdrawal bleed,and your ovulation tests are negative,it is simply because of breast feeding that your cycles are nor restarting. Try to stop breast feeding and wean of your child. Your menses shall return naturally once it is stopped and so would the ovulation hence which can then help you get pregnant naturally.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,

Wishing you good health.

Patient: Thank you for the reply. Can I ask approximately how long would it take for me to be fertile again once I stop breastfeeding her? (Days, months etc)
Doctor: Hello,
Once you stop breast feeding completely then it generally takes a month or two for the menses to return and another month for the ovulation to re-establish.