Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I got tested a week ago and results came back

I got tested a week ago and results came back

Patient: I got tested a week ago and results came back and I’m positive for chlamdyia, my doctor gave me an antibiotic called metronidazole 500 mg for ten days but I was reading online and read that it does not cure chlamdyia, should I go ask for a different antibiotic ?

Doctor: Hi welcome to Ask The Doctor,Chlamydia infection is a common sexually transmitted infection in humans caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis. For Pregnant or Nonpregnant Women Azithromycin 1 g orally in a single dose OR Amoxicillin 500 mg orally three times a day for 7 days OR For NONPREGNANT Women Only Doxycycline* 100 mg orally twice a day for 7 days Alternative Regimens For Pregnant or Nonpregnant Women Erythromycin base 500 mg orally four times a day for 7 days OR Erythromycin base 250 mg orally four times a day for 14 days OR Erythromycin ethyl succinate 800 mg orally four times a day for 7 days OR Erythromycin ethyl succinate 400 mg orally four times a day for 14 days Test-of-cure 3–4 weeks after completing therapy in pregnant patients.OR For NONPREGNANT Women Only Ofloxacin* 300 mg orally twice a day for 7 days OR Levofloxacin * 500 mg orally once daily for 7 days. Please discuss with your doctor before using any tablets. Only if your Doctor recommends and permits you to use then go ahead. Without a Doctor’s prescription do not use any medicines.Wish you a speedy recovery.