Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I got the implanon bar inserted in my arm 2 and half weeks ago

I got the implanon bar inserted in my arm 2 and half weeks ago

Patient: I got the implanon bar inserted in my arm 2 and a half weeks ago, now the skin above and around the bar is red, itchy and feels hot. Is that normal?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Sometimes few women may experience allergic skin reaction o r signs of inflammation after inserting Implanon.But having reaction two and half weeks after insertion is rare.Minor reactions can subside by using anti-allergic medications.If the redness, itching, heat etc persist or increase in severity, you may have to go for removal of Implanon.So, please do consult your doctor and get evaluated.Take care