I guess a scientific answer would have really helped me. I need solutions for depression.

Q: I guess a scientific answer would have really helped me with my problem. Ive had a break up and the past month, ive been quite depressed and feel im really not improving: even a little. Can you please suggest something? I cant concentrate on my books and i have exams next month. Solutions for depression.

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The symptoms that you have mentioned suggest that you could be having a depression. The mood swings that you are describing are occurring due to imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. The neurotransmitters like serotonine, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.
You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.
Do meet your doctor.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.