I had a CT scan which came back inconclusive on the abdomen.

Patient : I had a ct scan which came back inconclusive on the abdomen I am still getting sever pain and burning on my lower left side and pain and pressure on my lower back its very painful when I use the toilet and get stabbing pains and there's also alot of mucus in stool I was discharged from hospital after 5 nights and my doctor sent me back in hospital released me again back to my doctor I am getting worried now that it could be something serious could this be possible if it never showed on ct scan
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. From the description of your symptoms of left sided lower abdominal pain, lower back pain and mucous in stools and normal CT, these are the possibilities: 1) Colitis 2) Acute Gastroenteritis 3) Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis) Kindly visit your physician/surgeon and get TC ( Total Count ) as well as stool examination done. This will help in confirming any infection. If no improvement, you can get a colonoscopy and if required biopsy from mucosa to be taken. If the colonoscopy or colonoscopic biopsy shows colitis or diverticulitis then proper antibiotic coverage, prebiotics and proper analgesics will be helpful. If the colonoscopy shows diverticulum and symptoms doesn't subside then diverticulectomy- either open/laparoscopic as per surgeon's advise and expertise, can be done. Colonoscopy will also help in identifying inflammatory bowel disease. So kindly do not worry and get the required investigations done. You can consult a medical gastroenterologist for the same. Hope the consultation was helpful, Regards.