Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had a medical abortion and began birth control pills

I had a medical abortion and began birth control pills

Patient: I had a medical abortion and began birth control pills that Sunday. I had sex 2 weeks after the abortion. I am still having a positive pregnancy test and some minor pregnancy symptoms. Could i have gotten pregnant again?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for writing to us.I can understand your concern.A pregnancy test can be positive up to 4 weeks after a n abortion.You can get pregnant right away after an abortion, if you had an unprotected sex.As in your case, you are taking birth control pills then chances of pregnancy are less in your case (but you should not miss the pill).I hope it was useful.Regards