Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I had a Pap smear in November and it came

I had a Pap smear in November and it came

Patient: I had a Pap smear in November and it came back clean. Now I am about 3 months pregnant and just had my first appointment with my dr and my labs came back positive for Chlamydia. Is it possible it was dormant and now it’s active? How does that work?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It can ne possible that the bacteria could have been dormant this long and now got ac tive. This could be possible as chlamydia can remain dormant for ages. The other possibility could be that you would have got a newly acquired infection as incubation period is one to 3 weeks. Oral, genital sex are the most common modes of transfer.You will have to be started on antibiotics for a couple of weeks. Get your partner also checked and treated. Until intercourse till this is done.Feel free to write back for further clarifications.Hope this helped.Regards