I had a partial meniscectomy for a large tear to

Patient

Q: I had a partial meniscectomy for a large tear to the posterior horn of my medial meniscus 1 month ago. I saw my orthopedist 3 weeks after the surgery and all was progressing satisfactorily..my knee was still swollen and my quad was weak and ROM was restricted, but that was to be expected. He prescribed a few weeks of physical therapy.

Before I had a chance to call to set up my first P/T visit, I started having pain in that knee, but different than just the post-op swollen, stiff knee discomfort. The pain is in the front of my knee toward the inside (medial aspect), sort of right under the site of one of the incisions. (It does not feel like it is related the incision, and there is no sign of infection or anything.)

The pain feels similar to some of the pain I was experiencing before the surgery, where just lifting my leg while walking, or while changing positions in bed, caused a pain in that spot. It almost feels as though something is not being held in place when I lift my leg to walk.

My doctor said he did not need to see me again and that he was not concerned about my healing, so I am reluctant to call him about this. But it feels abnormal; this is a new pain in a specific spot and it is distinctly different than the post-op discomfort. It started after I began trying to walk up the stairs the "normal" way, instead of 2 feet on one step at a time. It was a strain for sure. I also tripped over a bag, which made me move my leg awkwardly.

What could this be, and should I call my doctor to be seen, or wait it out? Could I have torn that same meniscus (what was left) more? There was an area that was "frayed" that was still intact, which he showed me in the surgery photos.

In case it is relevant: The MRI had showed a large effusion and a small Baker's cyst (which we think had been larger and burst a few days before the MRI. There were very minor arthritic changes in that knee. I am a 49 yr old female.

Symptoms:  New (different) pain in knee 1 month after partial meniscectomy
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. This pain can be due to large effusion . I think you can be benefitted by physiotherapy and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Fresh conditions of your meniscus can be seen by MRI. You can visit your doctor for this problem. Fresh tear is unlikely to occur. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.